Friday, January 24, 2014

Redirection

We got some bad news today.  Here are some FB updates that were posted today so our journey can be followed.
"We wanted to let you all know that we just found out that donor will not be able to be our donor. Please be in prayer for our family, for the donor and her family, and that things will proceed forward quickly with another donor."

This is a posting from our donor as to why she can no longer proceed:
"It is with an extremely heavy heart that I am letting you all know that I have been ruled out as a donor. There is definitely a grieving process to go through with this unexpected news.

My CT scan from last week revealed a large angiomyolipoma on my right kidney. These tumors are most always benign, but as with any tumor there is a risk of cancer. The nephrologist and surgeons are very concerned because of the size of this one. Kidneys are about 10 cm. This tumor is 5x4x4 cm in size...so about half the size of my kidney.

The initial conversation with my coordinator regarding this was not as alarming as the follow up call after she had spoken to the nephrologist...and he decided he didn't think I should proceed with donating.

They DO use kidneys with these angiomyolipomas for transplant, but they are usually under 2 cm in size.

I cannot express enough my extreme sorrow for Kevin and Mindy right now. More waiting and the catheter clock ticking.

My focus right now has to shift to my personal health, and that is difficult for me. Personality wise I'm definitely the care giver nurturer and usually put myself last.

I have faith that God laid this desire on my heart to donate my kidney to Kevin, and my obedience in following Him has led me to discovering something about my own health that I never would have found out...or would have found when it could have been critical or even life threatening.

I am believing this is benign. My greatest concern is the possibility of rupture because of the size. (This was expressed to me as a concern by my coordinator.)

Please pray for my continued peace alongside realistic anxiety, pray we can get health insurance quickly and without problems, for my family to have peace about this, that answers come quickly for how to deal with this issue, and obviously for no issues to come up with the next donor candidate."


But we have hope!
"Contacted tonight by two people to see if they can be tested for Kevin. Speechless! Words can't be put together to express our gratitude to all of you who have thought about, asked, or have been tested. Thank you!

And because I have been asked about this information, here is the number for the IU Living Donor Center 1.800.382.4602.

We know that there were several people who were tested this past summer/fall and of those we had 5 matches. This fall the center had started a wait list for people wanting to be tested because there were so many. We have already been contacted by one of these other matches this evening to chat about Plan B. We are not without a plan B and for that we are so thankful.

Thank you so much for all of your kind words and support and most importantly prayers for us and for Joy!

This verse keeps flooding my mind this evening:
"We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair." 2 Corinthians 4:8
"


I will try to update more later.  It's been a long day. 

No comments: