Monday, May 14, 2012

Celebrating Some Serious Hard Work

On my calendar May 12 was written on with large bold letters in permanent black marker.  It was  a day that I promised myself I would move mountains to keep clear and to keep my family healthy.  Praise the Lord everyone was healthy and we were able to attend a very special celebration.  My best friend graduated from medical school.  I can not wrap my head around how hard she worked, how much she sacrificed and how much her family supported her in this effort.  BUT by the grace of God, they did it and they all survived.  What a day it was!  I was giddy for her and couldn't wait to watch her cross that stage and get hooded.  IT.WAS.AWESOME!  Proud is just not the right word that I can use here.  It was more a feeling of elation.  She is just plain awesome and so is her precious family.  I mean look at this picture (that I totally stole from her Facebook page).  Aren't they just the best looking family?
Untitled
I have alot of pictures to share from this most exciting day. So here we go...

Here is that same good looking family after the ceremony. She is a doctor now, an OB/GYN to be exact.
 Untitled
After the ceremony she took off her robes to reveal her Army uniform. We all moved into another room where the other graduates who were also in the military were all promoted to Captains! She had her Papaw and husband "pin" her since they are the two veterans among her family. That was very emotional. DSC08305 P5121076
After all of the ceremonies were over we headed a few blocks away to a wonderful restaurant where her mom and dad threw a wonderful party to honor all of her accomplishments.
 DSC08306
It was a wonderful celebration. The girls had so much fun playing with the other kids and running around. DSC08311 DSC08298
We ended by watching her open her presents. She received an amazing stethoscope which Peanut wanted her to try out on her. DSC08321
 I had racked my brain trying to come up with a good gift for her. I wanted something meaningful for her. I really didn't know what to do so I sought out some advice from the doctor who delivered both of our girls and who is still a friend. He gave me some great ideas in his email and then ended with an idea that I knew was perfect. This is what he said, "Of all the things I value, one is notes from past patients. I have a box and I have kept every thank you note I have ever received from patients. When I am having a bad day and wonder why I do what I do, I read a few of those and it changes my outlook." I knew a special keepsake box was exactly what we needed to give her. I asked a local artist in town who owns an amazing shop if she had any thing like that in stock. She told me she didn't but she would love to make one for me to give my friend. I gave her a few pointers and she created a thing of beauty! DSC08317
I also asked one of my friend's sisters to write the first card to put in the box because she had been right there with this sister during the labor and delivery of her first daughter. What a perfect way to start adding to this box which I know will be filled over and over and over. She will have to have a bigger box to keep the stash in. I am sure of that! She also has a life verse that has been her favorite for as long as I have known her. I found it in a beautiful print on Etsy and framed it for her to hang in her own office someday to remember exactly how she got where she is. DSC08319

I love you so much sweet friend. I am blessed to call you my best friend. We have seen each other through so much in the 15 years that we have known each other. I know these past few years we haven't been there for each other as much due to the distance that has separated us but you are NEVER far from my heart or my prayers. In just one short month there will be an even greater distance between us. Thank goodness for technology that can keep us close but more importantly for prayer that can keep you close to the heart of God. You are truly amazing! I know you are going to be an astounding doctor who will love and support each woman you take care of. You will encourage them in ways that most doctors can not because you know who the Great Physician is and you will entrust them into His hands. 
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." 
2 Corinthians 4:7-9 

What a perfect and wonderful day!
Now this little girl...well she wants to be a baby nurse one day. Think she has a pretty great mentor!
 DSC08312

No comments: