Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Creating

I have made some things over the past couple of months that I wanted to share.  I love sewing but don't get to do it much with our crazy schedule and the two littles.  Someday I will have a craft room.  I will be able to have all of my things out and just close the door.  It will be mine...all mine.  For now I have things stored all over our apartment.  It's just more work to get everything out sometimes than making whatever it is I want to make.  But I do love the gift of something home made.  I feel that God has given me a love for creating things when I have the opportunity and I love being able to share it when I can.  And with everything I make comes a little bit more practice and perfecting of my errors.

One of the things I made alot of at Christmas was journal covers for composition books.  I think I have made at least 7 or 8 of them.  I love them so much.  It's the perfect thing for someone who journals.  They can just get a new composition book and use the cover over and over. (Tutorial can be found HERE.)
Homemade Journal CoverChristmas 2011
I even gave the book One Thousand Gifts by Anne Voskamp with a couple of the journals so they could be used to write down the person's gifts from the Lord. If you have not read that book, you need to. Life Changing! It spoke so deeply to me about being content and thankful with what I have right now, today and seeing everything as gift from God. I have never read a book like hers. She is an artist with her words. It is amazing and so beautiful. It is a book I will go to over and over again. I have so much of it highlighted because it just hits you between the eyes. I can't say ENOUGH about it. I want to start making a list with the girls too so they come to know the gift gratitude.

The past couple of weeks I made some coloring book crayon totes for a friend for her daughters' birthday party. The colors were hot pink, black and gold. These were so fun to make! It was my first paid sewing job and it made me feel awesome! (Tutorial can be found HERE.)
Coloring Book Crayon Totes

Last year and this year I made rice packs. Rice packs are awesome. We have one and I use it alot. You just heat it up to put on sore muscles or aching heads. You can also pop it in the freezer and make it cold if cold is what you need. These are always a hit and SO easy to make!  (Tutorial can be found HERE.)
Hot Rice Pack

For Peanut's teachers we made these cute colorful felt circle Christmas trees. I cut out the circles and Peanut helped hand sew them together. They were adorable. This is something I found on Pinterest.  (Tutorial can be found HERE.)
DSC07444

Each year I try to make the girls one handmade gift for Christmas. This years didn't turn out quite the way I wanted them too. I had gotten the idea at a shop in town. Yes, I am one of those people who sees things and says, "I don't need to buy that. I can make it." I should have paid closer attention to the details because what was supposed to be a lion turned out to look more like an owl! Ha! You win some and you lose some. The girls love them so that is all that matters and they are cute either way.
Lions or Owls????
So that is what I have been crafting lately. Pinterest has filled me with all sorts of ideas for things to make.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I have made several things from pinterest already!! I'm just like you...I say "I can make that!" all the time. : ) Cute stuff!

Colleen said...

Lions, owls they're still cute!