Sunday, January 29, 2012

Robert Burn's Day!

A little over a week ago, I had no idea who Robert_Burns was, but now I do. He was a Scottish poet who was born on January 25, 1759 and died on July 21, 1796. He is known as Scotland's favorite son and the Ploughman poet. (Thanks Wikipedia!) We have some great friends who take their Scottish roots seriously and invited us over to celebrate Robert Burns' day in true Scottish style.
Robert Burn's Day
I mean, we are talking kilts, kilt hose (knit by my friend), bagpipes, and true Scottish food.
Robert Burn's Day

Robert Burn's Day
We ate haggis and neeps and tatties.

The food was blessed with the Selkirk Grace otherwise knowns as the Burns' Grace.
"Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit."

There was even a reading of Robert Burns' poetry dedicated to the beloved haggis, Address to a Haggis.
Robert Burn's Day
I have to say that the haggis was not awful. Now that I have had it, I'm probably ok if I don't have it again but wouldn't turn my nose up to it. Even the girls liked it which shocked me...especially our little picky eater.
Robert Burn's Day
Most importantly we just had fun! We are so blessed with great friendships. God has provided fellowship for us with these special friends and we are amazed how He has led our paths to the same town for the time being. We love spending time together and watching our kids' friendship unfold.
Robert Burn's Day
And in true Burns' night tradition we were piped away with Auld Lang Syne.

No comments: