Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Come in for a Visit

This is more for my mother-in-law and other family who haven't seen our new place. I can honestly say that I feel really at home here. Yes, it is small and I would love more storage but I do feel like this is where we are supposed to be. I am so thankful that we were able to get into this complex. I feel much more at home here than I did our other place and the kitchen is like a billion times smaller with no dishwasher. It is so nice to be in a place that is full of families and many who are in the same boat that we are in....college family. So here are some pictures of the first floor. I am not done with the girls' room yet so that will come later.

Come on in the front door. We have a little flower bed under our front window that we can plant flowers in so you can see we have already taken advantage of that and have a yellow mum all ready for fall. The littles are pretty cute, don't you think?
DSC07128
Here is our sweet little living room. Pay no attention the the stack of boxes behind the couch. Someone needs to make a run to the storage unit and drop those off, but she just never finds the time.
One of my crafty things was to frame some fabric that I used in other places on the main floor. I really like how that turned out. So easy and so cheap thanks to Wal-Mart frames.
Our New Place
And the view from the other side.
Our New Place
Off to the side is a little under the stairs storage area that is super small so I sacrificed it to the kids. Their little kitchen is in there with some other toys and I strung some white lights. Pumpkin especially likes to play in here as do other smallish guests.
Our New Place
Here is another thing I made for our new place. I've had this wooden window frame from before we got married and never did a thing with it. I finally painted it, stapled some cloth to the back and strung some string across the openings to hang pictures. I love how it turned out. I need to print some newer pics, these were ones I had not packed away in our storage unit.
Our New Place

Our New Place

And here we are in the dining room, where our table just fits.
Our New Place

I had seen this art wall display on Pinterst and knew I wanted to make something similar for our new place. I love how it turned out and it is so easy to change and add the girls' new masterpieces any time we want.
Our New Place
And now the kitchen...the teeny, tiny kitchen where only one person is allowed at a time. I gasped the first time I saw how small it was but we're making it work. I splashed it with color and I am enjoying it's coziness.
DSC07077
My spice cabinet is a shelf that Papa made for us before Peanut was born. It was white but now it is barn red and houses my beloved spices perfectly. My mama sits on top of it and watches me as I work away in the kitchen.
Our New Place
A VERY sweet friend made the valance for me and it is perfect. We also strung some fall leaves for more color and because we just love fall.
Our New Place
Where do you hang your kitchen towel when you can't hang it on the oven or fridge door???? Well, you find a really cool idea on Pinterest again and go for it. This is a cheap drawer pull just screwed into the wall and it works like a charm. Great idea!
Our New Place
For another splash of color and to use another Pinterest idea, I made a dry erase menu board from an old and very ugly picture I found from Goodwill. I love this too and it was so easy!
Our New Place
We have a half bath downstairs also which I am very thankful for. I found a few vintage things to use in here. The books in the basket are very old children's books from Papa's family.
Our New Place
I also hung some old angels that Dobbie's mother made and a picture that was from Papa's mother. The small vintage postcard is from an antique shop and I couldn't pass it by.
Our New Place
The laundry is right by the half bath and our make shift pantry is at the end of that hall but it is full of stuff that needs to get to the storage unit and a bit unorganized still...so NO pictures of that.

Hope you have enjoyed this little tour. We really do like our new place and feel really at home here. I haven't missed our other apartment once. This feels like home and I am thankful for that! I have tried to make it feel homey instead of like an apartment. There is only so much you can do but I think we're getting there.

1 comment:

jodyfoznot said...

You've done a lot with your little space! It's adorable! I may have to borrow your ideas from your half-bath. I have some antique prints from children's books that would look adorable framed and hung on the walls in my kids' bathroom. Thanks for the inspiration!