Saturday, September 24, 2011

Strange Fruit

We have been doing some really fun things and the girls are playing so well together so here I am trying to get all caught up before I get really behind. Today we are heading downtown to the Lotus Festival and I am very excited about that. I love festivals. I love wandering around people watching, listening to music, looking at handmade goods and the such. The weather will be cloudy and cool but it is FALL!!!!! I absolutely adore fall. We already have two pumpkins by our door and a mum planted by our front stoop. I have already made an apple pie, baked apples, and pumpkin cinnamon rolls. The candles have been burning away. I hope fall this year lasts for a long, magical time.

So back to yesterday. We got home at 12:30 after Kindergarten for Peanut and Bible Study for Pumpkin and I. I threw some mac and cheese in a pan for lunch right as my phone rang. It was a friend alerting me to a very cool free event taking place on campus and wondering if we would like to join them. YES! Out the window went the nap and rest time. We are all about free events on gorgeous fall days. The mac and cheese went into the fridge and I quickly chopped an apple, peeled open some cheese sticks and poured some crackers in a bowl and called it "Lunch on the Go!" for the girls.

The event was an Australian dance troupe called Strange Fruit and it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
Strange Fruit Dance Troupe
Three women in bright, sparkly outfits climbed 14 foot pools, strapped their thighs to said poles while resting their feet on teeny tiny little foot rests then pulled their skirts up from the bottom of the poles and tied them to their waist.
Strange Fruit Dance Troupe
All the while the music was playing and we were wondering what exactly they would do on top of those poles that seemed to stand very straight.
Strange Fruit Dance Troupe
Once the "Three Belles" were all ready, they began to dance. The poles bent and swayed with them. It was amazing. It looked like they were just floating in the air.
Strange Fruit Dance Troupe
One indicator to the coolness factor of this event was watching my girls. They could not take their eyes off of these dancers. They were entranced.
Strange Fruit Dance Troupe
Even Pumpkin who does not sit still for more than two minutes at a time watched the entire show, awe struck!
Strange Fruit Dance Troupe
The kids were so taken with the dancers that we had to chase them down for a quick little meet and greet before their next show.
Strange Fruit Dance Troupe
So if you are ever anywhere near where this group is performing...GO! You will not be disappointed. Here is a youtube video that I found showing what the show looked like. It is kind of long but worth it!

They are performing again tonight at the Lotus Festival and I think we are going to try to go again because it was THAT good and Daddy wants to see them too.

No comments: