Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Hiking Trip

Daddy has been wanting to go on a hiking trip for quite some time. He finally found a willing hiking buddy and got to go this past weekend. His buddy came down on Friday night to spend the evening with us so they could get an early start on Saturday. He brought along his dog, Pimg who has been incredibly trained and was so gentle with all of us. The girls fell in love with her and had a ball asking her to do tricks so they could give her treats.
The Hike
On Saturday morning after a breakfast of home made waffles the girls and I took the hiking crew out into the hills to find the trail they had decided to hike. We had to look hard to find the little sign that marked the trail but find it, we did. As the guys got all geared up there were refreshers on what poison ivy and ticks look like.
The Hike
I was feeling a little anxious sending them off into the great wilderness but thankful to know they had Pimg hiking along with them.
The Hike
Right before they set off a truck pulled up and the driver told them to be extra loud and to talk alot because there were turkey hunters out. This did nothing to reassure me but off they went full of excitement and anticipation of hiking 20 miles. The girls and I said a prayer of safety for them on our trip back to town.
The Hike
We did some fun things together while Daddy was away. We hit up the Farmer's Market and got some plants for our deck, ate some popcorn and listened to a local folk artist. We then trekked down town to our favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch. We always have to hit up the big gumball machine before leaving.
Girl's Weekend
On our return walk to our van, I noticed a poster advertising a circus at the fairgrounds and decided to surprise the girls and go. The selling point was 2 free kids for each paying adult. The highlight of the 2 hour show was them getting to touch this snake beforehand. All of the kids made a beeline for the snake and all of the moms made a bee line for the opposite side of the room.
Girl's WeekendGirl's Weekend
Let's just say it was NOT the greatest show on earth. Peanut said she had fun so that is all that matters even though I kept thinking, "I just spent $15 on this when we could have gone to the library for free and had a much grander time." Lesson learned....research the circus company WELL before going!

Sunday afternoon I heard from Daddy telling me to meet them in an hour at our predetermined spot. (He had texted me a few times through the 2 day journey so I would know they were ok.) The girls and I filled the van with blankets for the muddy, wet hiking crew as it had rained all day Sunday, hot coffee and two big slices of pizza. We headed out. Just as I was miles within reaching our meeting place, Daddy called to tell me that they didn't think they were in the right spot. I didn't have a map to figure out how to find them and Daddy's phone was just about dead AND we were in the boonies again. This was not good. I called Dobbie to have her jump online and try to help me figure out where I needed to go when I rounded a corner and saw two very tired, wet guys and a dog. YEAH! They were on the right road and so was I!
The Hike
They had hiked 20 miles in two days and saw some amazing sights carrying 40 lb backpacks each. Pimg even had to carry her own water.
The Hike
Filtering water from the streams they hiked past.
The Hike
And stumbling on some pretty amazing spots in the back country.
The Hike

The Hike
They had a great time and are ready to do it again soon!

No comments: