Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mama's Birthday

My birthday was celebrated while we were up north also. The number won't be posted here because...well frankly....I think I'm to the point where it's better just left unsaid. Ha! Not sure how I have creeped up in years so fast. I do know that motherhood has sped things along rather quickly! Here are some pics from a little surprise pulled at Gigi's house.
Happy Birthday Mommy!

Happy Birthday Mommy!
Have to include this one of Pumpkin sniffing my birthday flowers because she's just too cute!
Happy Birthday Mommy!
We had decided prior to our trip that we would head back to our home on January 5 but on January 4 Daddy asked me if there was any reason we couldn't be gone longer. He planned a little get away for us for my birthday. We left the girls with Dobbie and Papa and took a train to Chicago for 2 days and one night. It was great fun. We both love Chicago and used to go quite a bit. Sadly we had not been there for probably 6 years! We stayed right downtown thanks to Travelocity.

We were too early to check in so we went to Starbucks where I read in peace for a bit and Daddy planned our time. We ate Chicago pizza then we checked in to our hotel which was caddy corner to the Chicago Public Library. Next we headed off to Willis (which will always be Sears) Tower.
Chicago
Daddy was brave enough to do The Ledge which I am not ashamed to say I was not. If that ledge went teetering off the side of the tower someone had to still be around for the girls so it was out of duty to my kids. (Heehee!) Just watching Daddy creep very slowly out onto The Ledge made my heart race and my palms clammy. IT.WAS.INSANE! I want to know who was assigned the job of first person out on the ledge after it was built AND do they know for sure how much weight those things can hold AND can it withstand people jumping. So many questions!!!!! My heart is racing right now. Ha!
Chicago
After our near death...okay, enough with the drama...after our experience, we took in Macy's Christmas decor. Love, love, love Macy's at Christmas. I was so excited to see that they still had their things out. It made me feel better that mine was still up at home collecting dust.

Daddy wanted desperately to ride the "L" while we were there. I being the trusting, never doubting wife thought for sure we would end up in Yonkers and not be able to find our way back. (BTW, I do know that Yonkers is in New York!) We did just fine if I do say so myself and made it to Lincoln Park to walk around awhile and enjoy some nice warm Starbucks. Did I mention that it was COLD????
Chicago
We headed back downtown and found a very yummy Indian restaurant to eat at. We love, love, love Indian food so this was a special treat. Daddy had Chicken Saag, I had Butter Chicken, we split an order of Vegetable Somosas.

After a wonderful night of sleep and sleeping in for the first time in Pumpkin's life, we headed out for a brisk 20 block walk where I tripped into a street and Daddy saw my life flash before his eyes. Thankfully there were no cars coming! Whew! We had a leisurely lunch at The Cheesecake Factory which Daddy declared a "tourist trap" but I didn't care one bit as we shared a piece of tiramisu cheesecake!

Heading back south into town, we stopped by The American Girl Place to pick the girls up a small Chicago transportation present. It was the stuff that little girls dream of. Peanut would melt into a puddle of exhilaration if she gets to go someday!
Chicago
Our final stop was The Art Institute. We had just over an hour to take it in which is not enough time by any means so we just meandered and saw what we could see. We both had been there before so that was helpful. It was also free admission!!! My favorite thing is this enormous painting...AMAZING!
Chicago
A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat

We had a wonderful time. Chicago is by far one of our favorite places!
Chicago
My actual birthday, January 8 was our first day back at home so Daddy let me sleep in (which I took very full advantage of) and we just relaxed all day, catching up from our trip. I didn't even have to cook thanks to pizza delivery! Awesome!

1 comment:

Marc and Allison said...

So glad you had such a great time, Mindy! You definitely deserve to have gotten away for a little while! Hope you came back refreshed! We miss you guys (and your kiddoes, too)!