Thursday, October 14, 2010

Going to the Orchard

Last week it was stunningly beautiful here. The leaves had turned and the weather was sublime. I decided a great fall activity would be to take the girls to a local orchard and pick apples. I did my research (asking friends on Facebook about good, local orchards), picked one, and away we went with a picnic lunch all packed away. We were so excited. The drive provided us with some wonderful views of the fall foliage.

We found the orchard easily and the girls were brimming with excitement, Pumpkin more because Peanut and I were excited. We walked into the quaint orchard store, found an employee and asked about picking apples. "Oh, I am sorry but there are no apples left on the trees, no more picking." WHAT?????? You have got to be kidding me.

I looked to my little munchkins and said, "We'll just find something else to do. We will still have fun!" We walked around the store and found a bag of Golden Delicious, a jar of apple butter, homemade peanut butter, apple cider, AND my new favorite fall treat, an apple cider slushy!

We made a trip into the local town to scout out a playground and to eat our picnic. After some playtime, we headed out of town the opposite way just to see where we might end up. (I sort of like taking the new way home usually.) We found an ice cream joint and had pumpkin ice cream and cookie monster ice cream.

After heading a ways out of town, there it was....a sign for a pumpkin patch. We couldn't pick apples so we'll pick pumpkins. We followed the little signs, twisting and turning along the hilly back roads with me praying I could find my way back to the main road. I was just to the point of saying in my head, "If we don't find this place in the next 2 miles, we're going back," and there it was...a small family owned pumpkin patch.
Pumpkin Patch
The girls were thrilled to each pick a pumpkin. Pumpkin kept returning to the same tiny, rotten pumpkin determined that this was the one she was taking home.
Pumpkin Patch
We finally deterred her to one that wasn't so "soft." The owners had been watching and giggling over her determination to take that little pumpkin so when we went to pay, they handed both girls two small pumpkins as a gift. We ended our visit with a hayride around the pumpkin patch.
Pumpkin Patch
It wasn't apples, but it was a fun day that gave two little girls some fun memories of being together. It also gave me a very quiet ride back home to just enjoy the beauty of the leaves.
Pumpkin Patch

No comments: